Friday 28 September 2007

einen Augenblick

In German, "einen Augenblick," or literally "an eyeblink" is used to mean "just a moment." Well, it turns out that two months are little more than a few eyeblinks in the context of a year, or a career. The Burns fellowship is at an end already; this is my last official day at Reuters (though I may take on a few more assignments before I leave the country in two weeks).

As with most conclusions, I greet this one with mixed feelings. It's a bit sad, because I feel as though I've just barely gotten settled. It's satisfying, because now I can look back and see how much I've learned and accomplished in a relatively short time. And it's scary, frankly, because I have no idea where I will live or work next. (Maybe I should call that exciting?)

My parents arrive on Tuesday for a two-week European adventure before we all head back stateside together. I'm looking forward to this chance to show them some of my favorite places, and to discover new ones together. Do any of you who have traveled in this region (broadly including southern Germany, Switzerland, Italy and Austria, since we'll be renting a car and are flexible about our route) have any suggestions about must-see places?

5 comments:

Kate said...

I've never been to that part of Europe, so I don't have any suggestions, but it'll be good to see you soon! We'll have to get together when you get back.

Heather L. said...

Have a wonderful time with your parents!! I always wanted to see Austria -- maybe somehow I'll see some of your pictures. i'm reading all about WW I right now, which is all about the area you are in! i hope things go well settling back into the sTates.

Anonymous said...

I'm very proud of you:).
Love,
Charles

Frankfurt Media Girl said...

Amanda - I just stumbled over your blog... Me being a journalist, too, I was wondering if you're still in Frankfurt..... and if you are interested in meeting up for coffee one day? Would love to hear from you! FMG

Amanda said...

Hi to FMG if you happen to be reading this, though my response is so belated that i doubt it! Thanks for reading my blog. (I'd love to read yours, but it seems to be invite-only.)

I would definitely have joined you for coffee, but I now live in Washington, DC...still, if you ever happen to find yourself on this side of the ocean, feel free to get in touch, I'm always happy to show a fellow journalist around.

Enjoy life in Frankfurt, I miss it!